Monday, April 18, 2011

We need an intervention.

As many of you know, we've been really concerned about Jackson's speech over the past couple of months.  We went to the doctor, had Jackson screened and evaluated, and got the results on Friday.

Jackson does have a 40% delay in his expressive and receptive communication.  At first, I thought I would be glad to hear that he'd qualify for intervention.  If he didn't have at least a 40% delay in one area or a 25% delay in 2 or more areas, then he wouldn't qualify for any help at all.  I was trying have good perspective...ya know...to go into this whole thing thinking that it would be better to qualify for help than have a delay but it not be enough to get help.  But, I was totally heartbroken that he had such a delay.  I was pretty down on Friday but with the help of kind words and testimonials from friends who either had to have speech therapy or know of people who did, I'm feeling much better.

I know that God made Jackson just the way he is for a reason.  He is perceptive and observant, laid back, and easy to get along with.  I don't know why he isn't communicating yet, but I know that God makes everything beautiful in it's time.  God will show Himself in this situation, if He hasn't started to already.  Sometimes I just can't see it right away.

The interventionist comes tomorrow (Tuesday) at 4:30 to set some goals for Jackson and to set up a time each week to come work with him.  She will come for an hour each week.  She'll also give us stuff to do with him everyday.  I'm curious to see how things will play out from here and will keep you all updated on how things go.

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. We are definately praying for Jackson. God is in control of all things. Remember that He can do imeasurably more than we ask or imagine! I am looking forward to watching how God works in sweet little Jackson! We love that little man!!!!

    ReplyDelete