I figure I better write down some of the things about her first month because I can barely remember anything about Jackson at this age. It all gets jumbled up and I can't remember when he did what, or how big or small he was, or how exactly I felt. Sleep deprivation can do that to a person!
So here's some things about our Ruthie girl at 1 month old --
- She is high maintenance..."like her Momma," Bryan says. :)
- She prefers to be held by me and only me all.the.time. Sometimes that is difficult but, secretly, I love it. She will be crying in Bryan's arms (or whoever is holding her) and they can hand her to me and she just stops. It pretty much melts my heart every time!
|Sleeping in her favorite place - Momma's arms.|
- It took a couple days but she now LOVES the swing. Good thing too, because Jackson practically lived in it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if she hated it.
- She's not the best sleeper (definitely not as good as Jackson) but she is getting better. For a while she was waking up every 2 hours and didn't want to be put down at all. Literally, I had to sleep with her on me or in my arms, which made for some VERY long nights. In the past week though, she has gotten better. In fact, there have been 3 nights that she's gone 4-5 hours between feedings...but alas it's only been 3. :) She mostly wakes up twice a night and sleeps in her crib until after the second feeding. THAT'S WHEN THINGS GET DICEY! After about 5 am, she wants to sleep on me again. I can put her down in the crib and within a few minutes she'll be wide awake. But, if I pick her up and move her to the bed or couch with me, she'll be out like a light and sleep for another 3-4 hours. It told you...HIGH MAINTENANCE!
- She is very fickle about her paci. She only takes the Soothie or Gumdrop pacis. One second she'll take it, then within a few seconds she'll spit it out and gag on it if you try to give it back to her. Then a few seconds later she'll be fussing again and latch onto it like she's been longing for it for days. Honestly, it can get real old, real quick -- but it's so funny.
- In the past couple days, she's started to find her voice. I wouldn't quite say she's cooing yet, but she's getting close!
- She's starting to give halfway real smiles. I can't tell if they're full on smiles or still gassy smiles, but sometimes I think they're real. It's so hard to tell at first!
- She finally has some chunk to her and is filling out her newborn clothes. Within a couple of weeks, she'll probably move up to 0-3. She has outgrown newborn sized diapers and is in size 1s already!
|Proof of the chunk|
- She had her first bath with her big brother tonight and Jackson even helped wash her off. It was very cute and yet I completely forgot to take pictures. I'll be kicking myself for that one for a while.
- When she starts to get uncomfortable or unhappy she'll let out these angry shrieks. It isn't a full on scream or a cry -- just a high-pitched, kind of raspy squeal. It's in a tone like, "Hey! HEY! Come get me...NOW!" Again, with the high maintenance!
- In her first month, Ruth had her first Easter. It was her second time at church and I dressed her in a lavender Petit Ami smocked dress and bonnet from her Nana. Everyone thought she was the prettiest girl at church. And they were right! I even got Jackson to sit and hold her for a picture.
- Jackson still isn't paying too much attention to his little sister. Sometimes when I'm burping her he'll come up and try to help. He says "pat, pat pat..." while he pats her gently on the head. Like I said before, he did help me wash her off in the bed. Actually, today I caught him trying to soothe her. I had laid her on the couch while I warmed a bottle and she was crying. I walked in the living room to find Jackson covering her up with HIS blanket. It was super sweet! Poor Buggy had a difficult time in the first couple of weeks and still has his jealous moments. He may not show it, but I think he's starting to warm up to her.
Happy One Month Ruthie Girl! We love you so much and are gonna have SO MUCH FUN! What did we ever do without you?
|How cute is she in her big brother's South Carolina sleeper?! |
It's a good thing I had a boy first.
I don't think a little boy would look quite so cute in his big sister's hand me downs! :)