Monday, March 28, 2011

I want to learn Why The Caged Bird Sings

Last night I didn't go to bed until 2:00 am.  I've been having trouble sleeping over the past few nights.  Last night I was dog tired, but got sucked into an INCREDIBLE program on the OWN network.  Yes, that's Oprah Winfrey's new network...don't judge me.  

At midnight I started watching Oprah's Master Class.  It was Oprah's story and it was very inspirational.  But, I couldn't have imagined what was about to come on next...Oprah's Master Class:  Maya Angelou!  I've always been awestruck by Dr. Angelou.  She is so eloquent, so wise.  Her voice, to me, is like honey. (Did you know she was mute for 6 years as a child? Amazing, huh?!)  I could sit and listen to her all day, soaking up every story, every bit of wisdom, every metaphoric morsel of good, old fashioned advice.

Thing is, I've always felt this way.  I try to catch her whenever I see that she's going to be on TV.  And, I've read a few of her poems, but really very little.  I sat there, thinking, "Why have you not read every bit of every word that this woman has written?!"  

Here is a clip from the show I found on YouTube.  She is describing words as things.  So true, so profoundly true, Dr. Angelou!



Do yourself a favor and DVR this program.  I think my generation could learn a lot if we stopped for just a second...took a break from TV, Facebook, and Twitter...and listened to the wisdom from Dr. Angelou's generation.

In the meantime, I'm heading to the library to check out every copy of literature they have by her!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment