Friday, October 21, 2011

A VERY belated birthday post!

I'm just now getting the chance to write this blog post about Jackson's 2nd Birthday Party that happened 20 days ago.  That's just ridiculous.  Both that he is already 2...and that it has taken me almost 3 weeks to put this together.

Sorry about that!  In that time my mom and mother in law came to visit, I've dealt with debilitating pregnancy migraines, and the stomach flu hit our household.  We are slowly recovering from the stomach flu, but we are getting there.

So here's the story on Jackson's birthday --

We had a "Little Monsters" theme which was super fun.  (And, no that is not a nod to Lady GaGa!)  I found TONS of great resources on pinterest.com as I am not a very creative person on my own.  I can, however, appear to be UBER creative as long as I can steal someone else's ideas!

I made just about everything by hand from the party bags, party hats, food, decorations, and even the monster cupcakes.  I saved a ton of money that way.    
  
All the decor is from Hobby Lobby and Target.
                                        
A close up of the cute monster ball pillow and the tray of cupcakes.

Paper cups with googly-eyes hot glued on them.


Home-made banner made with a silhouette machine and cardstock.

I just loved the monsters in between!

Even made a high chair banner with the silhouette machine.  Notice the monster shirt.
Thank goodness his bday is near Halloween or we never would've found one!

Daddy rockin' the hand made, felt, party hats!  Super cute.

Even Clifford enjoyed the party hat.

Party bags with card stock eyes and mouths glued on.
Inside them - monster goo, pencils, candy, monster finger puppets, and monster stickers


Even the food went along with the monster theme...

Monster toes = Mini pigs in a blanket

Monster eyes = Meatballs

Monster cupcakes = Funfetti boxed cupcakes, piped cream cheese frosting with green food coloring
and powdered sugar added to help it hold up, candy eyes, and black gel frosting for the smile.

Monster smiles = Mini-marshmallows in between apple slices,
held together with peanut butter.  

We had about 15-20 people there including children which was a perfect number.  It allowed everyone to talk and get to know each other without anyone getting lost in the crowd.  I was so pleased with how everything went!  Jackson loved all his toys and has barely touched his other toys since.  (Time to purge!!)

Blowing out the candle.


I cannot believe that Jackson is already two.  I thought the first year flew by, but the second year seemed to happen in the blink of an eye.  In his two years on this earth so far, he has taught his Daddy and I so much.  We've learned to how to do just about anything one-handed, learned how to share EVERYTHING, learned to laugh and not take things so seriously, and learned a lot of patience.  Not just patience with behavior but patience with development as well.  Even though he is doing so much better on his speech, Jackson is still a little behind but I think it's more stubbornness than delay.  And he gets that honest!

Jackson - you have brought us so much joy in the past 2 years.  Our hearts are so full and I don't know how we ever lived without you.  You have made your Daddy and I better mommies and daddies, husbands and wives, and better people overall.  You've shown us how to love unconditionally and the true beauty of our Heavenly Father.  We are the luckiest people in the world that God chose us to be your parents!  I cannot wait to see how great of a big brother you are to little Ruth and how much more joy seeing you two together will bring our lives!

Opening presents with Mommy.
Birthday ritual - Reading "On The Night You Were Born"
before bed with Daddy.


If you want to know where I found any of these ideas for the bday party, or how I did anything, just let me know.  I can send you the links!

XOXO


A special thanks goes out to so many people who both helped and attended the party!  I didn't want to include pictures of them or their names and this is a public blog and I didn't have their permission.  You all know who you are -- THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  An extra special THANK YOU goes to my pastor and his wife and my mother in law - if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have had the playset put up, any food or drinks, or any of the decorations made with the silhouette machine.  I would've been lost without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment